Saturday, August 22, 2009

Job seeking and job seekers

A couple of things happened this week that shed a little light on my situation now.

I had an interview this week with a television station to be their Web producer. I
think it went well, I played up my strengths, I had a few ideas. But I'm only one of "a lot" of applicants for the job. So we'll see.

I also had lunch with a big group of people who all have been laid off by the newspaper. I heard quite a few tales about the difficulties of landing a job in this climate. One friend went through a couple of rounds of interviews for a job, only to be abandoned. Another friend sent out resumes, got a bite, then got stonewalled. One friend, who wasn't there, apparently is still shell-shocked over being laid off. Took him a month to leave the house.

I'm doing well, looking for opportunities, applying here and there. But it's going to be tough. The interview I got was my first. After a month and a half.

My wife asked me last night if I was OK. I guess I was being a little moody ... mainly I go silent when I'm moody. I told her I was OK. She said maybe she shouldn't have let me go to that lunch!

I'm keeping my spirits up. And I'm still trusting God. And I don't mean to say that God will give me a job, no questions asked. I'm saying I trust his plan, even if I don't land work anytime soon ... or at all. It'll turn out, one way or the other, just like it's supposed to.

-Zube.

1 comment:

Laurie Merrill said...

Hey Ralph, throbbing mouth aside, that lunch was more of a downer than some of our past ones, and I don't know why, and it certainly wasn't cuz you were there ! Usually I gather tips and fuel and momentum and hear of success stories and feel a sense of group optimism. And maybe it was because I'd had gum surgery, but this one left me feeling a bit discouraged, too.
Still, lots of folks from Dec. are gone and working, so that is encouraging. And your faith must feel like a warm fuzzy blanket at times.
You rock, Ralph !