Thursday, August 06, 2009

Bitter? Me, bitter?

No, not me. I'm good.

I have seen former colleagues lately, very bitter about the layoffs at The Republic. I just don't get why one would waste all that time and energy and emotion being bitter.

That's not to say I haven't had strong feelings about this. But there's nothing for me to do except get on with my life. As a sage philosopher once said, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Of course, soon after he sang that, John Lennon was dead ...

-Zube.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you. Bitter just isn't worth the energy. New job. Old job. Laid off.
I just spent several days with good friends whose life right now reminds me that there is just no time for bitter.
Love Rene & Deb. Hate cancer.

Laurie Merrill said...

Having gone through the grieving stages after my layoff, I can say that the anger stage does take the longest, but I was pleasantly and happily surprised at how quickly I did go through the stages. It helped to be laid off in December and be able to hike a lot with like-minded, life-affirming, forward-looking former journalists!
There is a lot more out than there newspapering, and above all, you can't get caught up in letting other people define you. Many of the people who are not going to work today -- including you, Ralph! -- are among the top journalists of our time.

PSLeavitt said...

Zube, I really admired the grace and composure with which you handled yourself on that miserable day.

It speaks volumes to your depth of character, and I grew to respect you even more that day.

On a slightly different note, I was thinking yesterday that I never thanked you for saving my butt countless times while editing my breaking news stories for online.

Editors: Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.