Friday, August 14, 2009

Entropy setting in ...

I was supposed to go to a place where Web folks hang out and help each other launch projects. I will go soon, I promise.

I got busy re-reading my blog, remembering events from 5 years ago. Quite a memory trip.

The problem I have now is that I can very easily just hang out if I don't have anything on a hard deadline. I tend to just chill when I'm not at work.

I was good at what I did at the paper because I was good at deadline. When I was a copy editor, I had 2 or 3 hard deadlines a night. As a wire editor, I had those plus several more, making sure we got a certain number of pages done by a certain time. As an online producer, it was constant deadline ... get things up as soon as you can. Plus I had to populate automatic newsletters 4 times a day. And I loved it!

I'm the kind of person who is best under pressure. Take the pressure away, and I tend to relax - a little too much sometimes.

I need to impose my own deadlines for this job interim. Or else, I'll sit and surf the Internet all day.

-Zube.

2 comments:

PSLeavitt said...

I can relate, Ralph. I'm the same way.

And, I'm sorry to say, setting your own deadlines probably wont help much. Because they are empty and meaningless. Nothing will actually happen if you don't meet self-imposed deadlines.

For me, the best solution is simply to pull myself up by the bootstraps and just do it. Now. Immediately.

Perhaps action is the only remedy for inaction.

Zube said...

Thanks, Parker.

By the way, I meant "inertia," not "entropy."

A month in and I'm losing my vocabulary!