Tuesday, September 21, 2004

A very close call

So I almost got into a wreck today on the way in to work. A serious wreck. I'm still a little shaky, so bear with me.

I'm on the freeway. The roof of a camper or something like it flies off a big truck that's being hauled on a tractor trailer. The thing goes airborne and flies 3 or 4 lanes over to my lane, maybe about 2 car lengths in front of me. I have to simultaneously hit my brakes and swerve to miss this thing, about twice the size of my car, that's just landed in front of me. As I swerve, a blue car passes THISCLOSE to me on my right side. I could have sworn it bumped me or something, but there's no mark on my car.

Nobody got hurt, I think, because I didn't see any cars hit as I looked out the rear-view mirror. I think I was closest to it.

I was very conscious of not breathing for about a minute after this ... I didn't stop or anything, I was too stunned. My skin tingled. All kinds of things fly through your mind. First, though, was the disbelief that I didn't get hit. Then the constant replaying over and over in your mind, watching the details you missed the first time.

The only thing similar I can recall happening to me was about 10 years ago, when an aluminum ladder slid off a truck, also on the freeway, and I was able with no problem to change lanes before it slid over to my lane. Looking in my rear-view mirror, I saw at least 1 car drive over it ... major damage.

I said a little prayer. I don't say enough little prayers.

-Zube.

No comments: