Monday, August 02, 2004

These movies today ...

Back at work after a busy weekend.

We all saw a dollar-movie showing (for $3 dollars each, incongruously) of "Around the World in 80 Days." We all loved it ... Why didn't this movie do better at the box office? It wasn't GREAT, but it was a lot better than any of us had been led to believe.


I think the reason this movie largely tanked is no swearing, no double-entendres (well, maybe 1 or 2), no potty humor (well, maybe once), nothing you had to shield your kids from. The action scenes, choreographed by Jackie Chan, were wonderful, and funny. I'm not a big fan of his, or Kung Fu-type movies, but this was a lot of fun.

I know our family isn't typical. We still go to see Disney movies, even though our kids are 13 and 10. ... Who am I kidding, we'd go see them anyway WITHOUT the kids! Our kids don't seem to be caught up in the sex-and-violence-and-fratboy-humor movies that are being put out with abandon these days.

As I look up, I see a TV ad for "Alien vs. Predator." Now THAT's a kids movie for you, right? I'm sure it'll do big box office. And that's a shame.

No comments: