Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Ouch.

So this is how I spent some of Father's Day: In an emergency room.

It was early in the evening when I went outside to throw around the football with my son. I was wearing thick sandals ... then I felt something go through them and into my foot. It was a screw. A rusty screw.

The thing had screwed my shoe to my foot, and every motion of either was very painful. My wife took me to the emergency room and I sat there in a wheelchair for about an hour. They processed me, then I waited longer, then they looked at me, then I waited longer, then I got a room, then I waited longer, then I got moved, then I waited longer, then they hooked me up to remove the screw. Then I waited longer. Then they removed the screw. Then I waited longer.

I was put under so they could remove the screw (with a pair of needlenose pliers from maintenance!), but for just a minute. Apparently I didn't start to bleed until they got the thing out, which is a good thing.

Three and a half hours after I showed up, I was out. Which actually was pretty good for an emergency room. When I left, I saw people I had seen when I came in, still waiting to go through the first part of the process.

My foot is sore.

-Zube.