Monday, November 22, 2004

Billy Graham Crusade

We went over the weekend to Pasadena for the Billy Graham Crusade at the Rose Bowl.

Originally it was just about seeing a group performing that my daughter loves, Jump5. She had never seen them live, so we decided to give that to her as a sort of present for her 14th birthday. Plus, we got to see one of my favorite bands, Third Day, and a couple others that were very good.

But it was also a treat to see Billy Graham. Had never heard him preach before, and I may never get the chance live again ... he's getting up there in years. I was expecting to hear some powerhouse message from a powerhouse man, but it wasn't that way. Maybe age has tempered him and his message, but I get the feeling he's always been like he was Saturday. Simple, understated, just telling the truth about the gospel. He's really making outreach into youth culture with music and messages. He talked about young people needing respect and to be listened to and to be trusted. I was chastened by a couple things he said. And my kids sat listening and I think absorbing what he was saying.

Graham issued an altar call, asking people to come up and accept Christ, as he usually does. Thousands walked down there, it was amazing. I'm not naive enough to believe that everybody who walked down to the field really became believers Saturday. I know people can get swept up in the emotion and "me-too"ness of the moment. But if only one person meant it, that was a big decision.

-Zube.

No comments: