Friday, March 10, 2006

Beatles 1971

(Thanks for the words, Bruce. By the way, when I get these on CD, I'll ship 'em to you. I'll have to track down some CDs I never bothered to get.)

OK, so we hit 1971.

February
George releases album ISN'T IT A PITY, consisting of the songs he didn't submit for ALL THINGS MUST PASS, including a 7-minute version of the title track. The only songs that don't make it onto the album are RUN OF THE MILL, I DIG LOVE and ART OF DYING. They surface later on bootlegs and finally as CD bonus tracks.

May
John releases album PLASTIC ONO BAND, consisting of songs that he didn't submit for ALL THINGS MUST PASS. Added to the leftover tracks is the leadoff single, POWER TO THE PEOPLE, as well as tracks recorded in support of the Oz obscenity trial, GOD SAVE US and DO THE OZ. The album still times in at barely 30 minutes long.

George, busy with his Bangladesh relief effort, supplies only the song BANGLA DESH for the next Beatles release.

August
Beatles release album
IMAGINE

IT DON’T COME EASY (3:02)
GIMME SOME TRUTH (3:11)
TOO MANY PEOPLE (4:09)
JEALOUS GUY (4:15)
UNCLE ALBERT/ADMIRAL HALSEY (4:50)
IMAGINE (2:59)

I DON’T WANT TO BE A SOLDIER MAMA, I DON’T WANT TO DIE (6:10)
THE BACK SEAT OF MY CAR (4:29)
OH MY LOVE (2:45)
HEART OF THE COUNTRY (2:22)
BANGLA DESH (3:59)
SMILE AWAY (4:10)

(43:21 running time)


IMAGINE goes to No. 1

SINGLES:

IMAGINE b/w TOO MANY PEOPLE
UNCLE ALBERT/ADMIRAL HALSEY b/w JEALOUS GUY
IT DON'T COME EASY b/w BANGLA DESH

IMAGINE goes to No. 1
UNCLE ALBERT/ADMIRAL HALSEY peaks at No. 4
IT DON'T COME EASY peaks at No. 2

Songs Paul and John don't submit are abandoned, showing up soon thereafter as bootlegs and later as CD bonus tracks.

December
Paul, with an informal band he calls Wings, releases album WILD LIFE.
John, with Plastic Ono Band, releases single HAPPY XMAS (WAR IS OVER).
George releases album THE CONCERT FOR BANGLA DESH.

more tk ...

-Zube.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I don't know what you're talking about, but I just wanted to say hi and let you know that the candle from your daughter's fundraiser smells yum.

Zube said...

Hey. Don't get confused, this is primarily for me and a friend, big Beatles fans. We're old.

Thanks, I'll tell my daughter about the candle.