Thursday, August 18, 2005

Give me gridiron!

So football is starting up ... finally.

I'm a big football fan. I'd rather watch a rerun of a college game from the 70s than watch most live baseball or basketball games. Football is a big player for me.

I was a Cowboys fan from really early, so it's hard for me to select a moment that I became so football-centric. But I do recall something that really piqued my interest: NFL Films.

There used to be a highlights show every week on TV, usually Saturday. Great visuals, and especially great music. Very dramatic, to go with the slow-motion, mud chunks flying up, helmets flying off slowly because of a great hit. Very cool.

A couple years ago, I found a CD with the NFL Films music on it. Here it is.

I hate to sound like an old curmudgeon, but it was a different game when I was growing up. The 90s were great, with the Cowboys winning 3 Super Bowls in 4 years, but things were already changing. There was a lot of swagger and attitude to winners, and the Cowboys of the 90s were really bad about that. Michael Irvin, especially. But he is nothing compared to Terrell Owens of the Eagles and Randy Moss of the Raiders. Why does everybody feel they have to not only beat their opponent, but humiliate him? It's like basketball now, it's all about making the other guy look silly, not just to score more than they did.

My son and I went to a basketball thing during the summer, the And1 tour. Street basketball. It's all attitude and nastiness. He loved it, I was less enthusiastic after than I had been before. I'm going to try to disabuse him of the idea that humiliation is the best weapon.

One time, when he was with the 49ers, Terrell Owens scored a touchdown in Dallas, then ran to the star in the center of the field and raised his arms up, like he owned the place. He got clocked by one of the Cowboys players who had a 30-yard head start run at him. There's no need for Owens' stunt.

Other than that, I love football!

-Zube.

3 comments:

Stephanie Matlock Allen said...

Wow, you're so popular that you get spam feedback! sheesh!

Anywho, I'm not a football fan. Or sports in general. Tho I agree that sports would be more appealing (and life in general) if competition were just fun and not about making people feel bad. Seems like a bad way to go about things...

Zube said...

Hello, nice to meet you ... i would post on your blog, but i don't know which one your main one is! you have three!!

Ann said...

Ugh!!! Football season. This is Curt's favorite time of the year. I just don't get football. Curt bought me a book years ago that a woman wrote trying to explain the sport to other women. I only read half of it.
And Steph--I have gotten a few spam postings on my blog. I delete them. And actually just today I blogged about spagers!!! And notice my cute cat pic. Ralph, it might make you sneeze.
Oh, my fave time of the year ... March Madness baby!