Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Braces!

My daughter got braces today. She seemed to be handling them well, but we'll see this afternoon, when they told her she'd be sore.

There was a good lesson for her at the chair next door. Our orthodontist's office has about 7 chairs in one central room where they put on braces, take them off and tighten them on several patients at a time. The girl next to her was getting hers taken off, with a lot of drama, and pain. Then, they took a look at the teeth: She had bad cavities back where the brackets were around her molars. I heard a doc say she had a big buildup of plaque. Apparently she wasn't taking care of them. They had to tell her she was going to need fillings and I don't know what else. Apparently, she didn't like the news.

I'm pretty sure my daughter will be conscientious about keeping them clean and all. We just have to wait and see how long this is going to take!

-Zube.

5 comments:

Stephanie Matlock Allen said...

Ugh, no fun! But she'll thank you later... when her teeth are straight & she forgets about the pain ;-)

Ann said...

I had braces for almost four years. Ugh, it was horrible. You never forget the pain, let me tell you. :) Getting them tightened was awful. But somehow she will forgive you. Hopefully she won't have to wear a headgear like I did. Please don't try to visualize.
Anyway, I am thankful for my braces since now my jaw closes correctly.
Oh, though after braces I got TMJ--this jaw thing. So sometimes now my jaw locks. Good times.
But really it isn't that bad. :)

Anonymous said...

Bah. I hated having braces, but I loved having them off.

Yes, definitely encourage your daughter to take care of her teeth while she's wearing braces. It is such a chore, but she will regret it later if she doesn't floss and brush well.

The tightening thing was horrible. I forget how I managed... Do they still give out wax?

Zube said...

yeah, she got wax. she's handling them very well, so far. she's very conscientious about keeping them clean. we're hopeful!

Ann said...

Wax is the best invention for braces. Thank goodness for wax!!!