Monday, June 06, 2005

A New Hope

My wife resigned today. We're excited! No, honest!

She was a teacher's aide at a charter school (a GOOD one, not a last-chance one), for about 10 years, but she'd finally had enough. The politics were driving her nuts, as was her teacher's emotional baggage. She's going to concentrate on home for now.

We were thinking she'd quit by the end of the next school year anyway, when my son moves on into junior high, so it wasn't THAT big a move. She just was feeling conflicted about doing it.

She met with her employers today and they were surprised. They told her to keep them in mind for maybe part-time or substitute work, and she was happy to hear that they don't consider her bridges burned.

When we explained to the kids last week what we had decided, we were out having dinner. I told them that we probably wouldn't be able to go out to eat as much because we won't be able to afford it, but that Mom would be able to have more energy to cook more, the lack of which is one reason why we go out so much! My daughter locked onto it right away, understanding the dominoes that fall with decisions we make. We get two incomes because we live like we have two incomes, which necessitates two incomes ... etc. At the expense of family and home.

When I moved from management back down into the rank and file, I got back decent hours and weekends off. Which meant I got my family back. I don't want to ever change that.

We're both glad we're going to leave that cycle.

-Zube.

2 comments:

Stephanie Matlock Allen said...

Aw, congratulations! I'm sure it will work out for you guys & things will be great! :-) Have fun!

Ann said...

Congrats. Making choices like that for family make it worthwhile. I feel good about our decision to move here and work for less to be able to see my husband in the evenings and weekends. It has been totally worth it.