Thursday, December 09, 2004

More music musings

Not Christmas music this time (although I suggest if you have a Sam Goody in your location and want cheap Christmas music, go visit their "3 for $10" bin ... some of these CDs ring up at $0.99 ... I got the old Stevie Wonder Christmas album, Al Green, the Temptations and a great Nick at Nite soundtrack for It's A Wonderful Life! Also, if you belong to the record clubs, Columbia House is offering all their Christmas stuff for $4.99. Also, need a place that can direct you to good Christmas music? Try Christmas Reviews and Mistletunes).

No, I'm her to talk about my favorite Christian rock group, Third Day. They were on "60 Minutes Wednesday" last night ... and I MISSED IT!! I forgot they were going to be part of a story about Christian music. But I found the piece here ... go take a look. It also includes P.O.D. and the rapper Kanye West.

It was interesting, nice things said, but they seemed (to me) to be trying to generate some controversy or rift between bands and artists that go "mainstream" and those still over in what some call the "Christian ghetto."

I for one love it when more people get to hear Christian rock on "their" turf. It's less threatening and more "authentic." Let's face it, for years Christian "rock" was pretty cheesy. I have a few old collections of music, the WoW CDs in particular, which were really bad.

The past few years, the music has gotten good, with P.O.D. and Switchfoot considered legitimate rock acts, Stacie Orrico a respected R&B singer, even U2 being recognized for their Christian proclivities.

Make great music, yes, and don't deny your beliefs. That's a good formula, and if it draws "mainstream" audiences, all the better.

-Zube.


1 comment:

Stephanie Matlock Allen said...

I saw the Christmas with the Kranks soundtrack - it looked like it had a good compilation, and it made me think of you. (Jingle Bell) Rock on! :)